Monday, May 20, 2013

Book Review: The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

This was my first Sparks book, and I was a little apprehensive about it at first. My friend, Jessica, recommended it for me to read, and despite my husband's eye rolling at the thought of his wife reading another sap-tastic love novel I gave it a try. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good mushy girly book, but I was so not in the mood for one at the time. This was the PERFECT book for my mood. I wanted something with an element of love, but a little scope of danger. Maybe a bad boy or maybe just a bad situation. What I got from The Guardian was way more than I expected, and I couldn't put it down!

Basically the main character, Julie is heartbroken after the tragic death of her husband. Even though she is still in her early twenties, she is now widowed and alone...well not completely alone. She has an adorably intelligent Great Dane named Singer. He and her small town friends are practically all she has as far as family goes, and it takes her a good four years after her husband's passing to consider dating again. When she finally does...well that's when the wild ride begins.

There's Mike Harris. The cute down to earth mechanic who Julie grew to love as her late husband's best friend. And then there's Richard Franklin; a suave engineer with rugged good looks who seems to adore her.

Sweet! A saucy love triangle book, right? WRONG!!!! More like a suspenseful thriller with lies, jealousy, and even MURDER!
*Yes, that deserved all caps*

Overall, this book had my heart racing so fast I literally blew out a sigh of relief when I finished it.

Now that's the sign of a great read.

Check out more info on this book and the author at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15925.The_Guardian



No comments:

Post a Comment